A vibrant and historic community, the Westside neighborhood in Kansas City, MO offers a variety of things to see and do.
The Westside, originally a Swedish immigrant enclave, came into its own after a migration wave from Mexico after the Mexican Revolution. The area drew immigrants thanks to its strong industrial economy and affordable housing.
These days, the neighborhood still holds onto its eclectic roots while offering an assortment of exciting attractions. Read on for our top 8 picks for things to do in this wonderful community!
1. Visit Boulevard Brewing Company
This award-winning craft brewery offers tours and tastings of their popular beers, including their flagship brew, Boulevard Wheat.
Based on 1,066 reviews and a 4.8-star rating, you can bet that this brewery will impress even the pickiest beer lovers!
2. Explore the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts
This stunning facility hosts a range of performances, from Broadway shows to classical music concerts.
The architecture of the Kauffman Center features modernist curves, lots of glass, and unique motifs that will unlock your inner artist.
3. Visit the National World War I Museum and Memorial
Located in Penn Valley Park right across the highway from the core of Westside South, this museum offers a fascinating look at the history and impact of World War I, with interactive exhibits and artifacts.
4. Visit Sacred Heart Guadalupe Catholic Church
Experience a Spanish Catholic mass at this historic church featuring intricate stonework. Consider stopping for coffee and a pastry afterward at Roasterie Factory Café down the street!
5. Enjoy the Best Tacos in Kansas City
Thanks to its Mexican roots, Westside features a wide array of taquerias. Find a few of our recommendations below:
- Taqueria Mexico #1
- Tacos El Gallo
- La Fonda El Taquito
- El Pueblito
Best of all, you can find all four of these restaurants along the same portion of Southwest Boulevard right across the railroad tracks in Westside North!
6. Check Out the Library for a Reading Pit Stop
Kansas City has poured enormous resources into its public library system, and the Irene H. Ruiz branch at W Pennway St doesn’t buck the trend.
Consider taking a break at the library 6 days a week from 10 AM to 6 PM!
7. Take a Walk or Bike Ride through Penn Valley Park
Penn Valley Park features a wide variety of attractions and pleasant park spaces, including:
- The National WW1 Museum and Memorial
- Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers
- 89th Division Memorial
- Valor and Patriotism Commemorative Statue
- The Money Museum
- A host of great outdoor physical activities such as tennis courts, a skate park, an off-leash dog park, and baseball fields
You can visit Penn Valley Park by taking Monarch Highway to Exit 1A or 1B.
8. Explore the West Bottoms
If you feel like you have explored all that Westside has to offer, consider visiting adjacent neighborhoods such as the West Bottoms!
The West Bottoms, located northwest of Westside, offers a plethora of fun activities, including:
- Antiques and rare goods stores
- The First Weekends event featuring food trucks, live music, and more
- Contemporary art galleries
- Brewpubs, steakhouses, wine bars, and coffee shops in an avant garde industrial setting
You can reach the West Bottoms by taking the Jay B. Dillingham Freeway or by walking along Avenida Cesar E Chavez.
Move into Crossroads Westside Today!
Overall, the Westside neighborhood of Kansas City, MO, is a great destination for anyone looking for art, history, culture, and entertainment. With its historical charm, deep Mexican influence, and easy access to the entirety of Kansas City, living in Westside offers even greater accessibility to all these wonderful destinations.
Ready to take the next step? Check out Crossroads Westside Apartments today!